Image 1 of 1
Portmeirion in May 1-27.jpg
The Italianate village of Portmeirion, Gwynedd, is located on the estuary of the Dwyryd. It was built by Sir Clough Williams- Ellis between 1925 and 1975. Around the many colourful and unusual buildings are attractive garden areas and borders. In addition, the Gwyllt wild gardens cover the neighbouring hill and run down to the sea. They were developed by Caton Haig, an expert on Himalayan flowering trees. On his death in 1941 Clough incorporated the Gwyllt gardens into the village. They include tall conifers, tree ferns and large rhododendrons. There are also a number of lakes, with the largest spanned by a by a Chinese bridge, with a temple sited on the hillside above.